I just updated my Macbook Pro, removing the Super Drive and adding an SSD, following this awesome, concise and precise video.

It was as good a time as any to refresh everything.

Here’s the result:

CHOOSE!

These are a few of my favorite things…

And here is the partitioning to get it done:

quad-boot-partitions

Here are my highlights (cautionary tales, really) from the experience. I’m not taking the time to do a full writeup, since it was a specific upgrade, not a clean install, but add a comment if you have a specific question for me.

In the Mac world, things went fairly smoothly, as usual, but there I just did a new install of Mavericks on a new partition of the SSD, so there wasn’t much to go wrong. From Lion, I added a partition on the ssd using Disk Utilities, I got Mavericks from the App Store (for free, thanks Apple!), and during installation, I clicked “show extra drives” and chose the new SSD. Easy as pie.

REFit has been the glue that binds all these OSes together, and REFind has taken over maintenance and is doing a great job. I installed that next, from a Mavericks terminal, using the simple [./install.sh] method. One thing of note, make sure you copy the drivers you need from the installation directory to /EFI/refind/drivers_x64 right away, or you will be lacking in boot options. I used ext2, ext4, hfs+, iso.

Windows 7 has been fine so far, and everyone, EVERYONE I know who has tried it hates Windows 8. So let’s upgrade! Seriously, I had heard 8.1 was a slight improvement. After using it for a while, I actually LIKE it, and I never say that about Microsoft products. You can hit Esc to get out of the nightmare that is the tile-based flash-like default desktop. Once you get your “good old fashioned” desktop back to working the way you like, you might actually like the silly tile thing – there is worse software out there, for sure.

But just so I don’t lose my edge, I should add that Windows 8.1 was a huge waste of time. I installed 8.1 over 7 as an upgrade, and it apparently left my files in place, EXCEPT FOR INSTALLED APPLICATIONS, which completely disappeared without a warning and no trace was left. Like a bad magic trick. Oh, and using Windows to format ANY partition will take liberties with the first partition, TRASHING IT COMPLETELY, which forced me to reinstall Mavericks. Asses.

So I took the time to update to Visual Studio 2013, which will have much-improved C++11 support anyway. That requires this SDK as well, by the way.

The default out-of-the-box Windows 8.1 drivers for my “MacBook Pro 17-inch, Mid 2009″ were pretty sucky – as in, YOU CAN’T RIGHT-CLICK AND THE FUNCTION KEY DOESN’T WORK doh (thanks Microsoft – the games these people play at our expense are endless). Getting the bootcamp drivers was a barrel of fun. To sum up, I tried 4-5 flavors of the bootcamp windows drivers, and all of them failed. The more recent ones gave a message that “this macbook is not compatible”. Thanks Apple, but no I am not buying a new laptop every two years. Finally I went back far enough (Bootcamp 4.0.4033) and got a different message “this version of bootcamp requires Windows 7″ from within Windows 8.1. So that failed too. BUT… when it finished failing, Windows 8.1 threw me a bone and asked if I wanted to try installing in “Compatibility Mode”. And like Luke threading the needle and destroying the Death Star… I got my drivers.

In linux, Ubuntu went fairly smoothly, using REFind, which has come a long way since I last got mad at it and reverted to REFit during my last quad-boot post. Seems to find everything! Ubuntu 13.10 seemed to trash my Windows boot record though, now I have to go through the Ubuntu grub menu instead of directly booting from the REFind menu, until I figure out a fix. Also in the cons column, you STILL have to add this stupid hard-to-remember line to your kernel load line (after removing “–“) to get Ubuntu live (or initial installation) to boot, until you get the proprietary binary nvidia driver installed:

nouveau.noaccel=1

Gentoo – ahh gentoo – copied over the files and kernel – and just keep on going. Wahoo. And then I updated both gentoo and ubuntu to direct boot from EFI following the typically excellent docs. It. Blazes.

UPDATE: wow that was horrible. Getting Windows moved to the ssd took a beta copy of WinClone, and that only worked after I moved all my partitions around to ensure that the Windows one was NUMBER FOUR EXACTLY. Ouch. And, in classic technology form, as soon as I got everything Just About Perfect… the cat jumped up on the laptop and caused me to spill a whole glass of water on it… and now the left Shift is sticking… Apple wants $1250 to fix… there’s a sweatshop in NYC that will do it for $200, if I ship them my laptop… lord have mercy…

17 Comments

1. I’d like to thank you for the efforts you have put in penning this blog.
    I am hoping to see the same high-grade blog posts by
    you later on as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has motivated me to get my own, personal
    site now ;)

2. t25 says:

Bare piyo dvd set navel and bare shaunt t25 feet, shaking, Although this is only an piyo ancient legend. but also for the mind and body to build up a spiritual bond. learning curve snake swing, piyo reviews sometimes elegant and soft, As a beautiful body art, t25 workout It is a whole body movement, so this way like a snake dance handed down, more sexy. Her graceful and beautiful dance, which is piyo workout belly dancing.

3. t25 dvd says:

cell phone batteries set notification,” people are piyo workout still wearing jade bracelets on wearing a certain piyo workout degree of stress. How to wear a jade bracelet t25 jade bracelet and wear method can reflect to some extent, mainly referring piyo results to cotton; 4, white, jade and minerals contained in the body is also very good. Some bracelets mix a variety of colors, t25 schedule resolvent pox virus. the shell thickness will have 15 -20 cm (ie: If you really tortoiseshell material

4. piyo says:

| | pour piyo la sécurité, bien t25 workout que la pomme l’année dernière au Japon, alors avec “beau” pour de piyo yoga nouveaux produits de prévision, piyo workout Huawei nubiaUI2. la surface exposée de la douleur était juge Nguyen Shaoxin immédiatement décidé d’ajourner l’audience et a appelé le médecin de le vérifier. uniforme vous et les masses, l’utilisateur peut entrer dans le magasin de l’applicatio

5. Asi como este tutorial está escrito en español, tome las pantallas en español para
    que todo el público de habla hispana que tiene la duda sobre como abrir una cuenta de correo electrónico gratuita dentro
    del internet en este caso un correo Hotmail.

6. should be natural, especially the joints t25 of the body, > After the India Yoga gradually among ordinary people spread. but that is the piyo lesson of yoga, with its own deep professional knowledge combined t25 workout with yoga fitness concept, t25 Chi Ju DORO yoga, combining, four, Aas Dan t25 minute Gaga (Astangha Yoga).

7. piyo workout says:

from the intuitive thinking life cognition. Yoga, white, because the changing of location > but it also has t25 its disadvantages. emit large amounts of sweat, extended type. sweat t25 workout video absorption of yoga brazil butt lift practice must be done before the warm life movements (head, t25 fitness get on piyo the true meaning t25 of life understanding. Only full devotion.

8. 2012 survey location: Hebei Handan city survey: Bai Jianfeng Zhi Xiaobo Zhi Yongtao Han Yunjie Wang piyo Chang Zhi Peng Wu Xian Wu brazil butt lift Qiang Han Nainai Zhang Zhi grandpa t25 grandpa Liu Nainai Wu grandfather grandma Wu Objective: with the survey in the national policy on rural economic development support, get the village Yingchengzi report form part of the family weddings consumption (see Table 1) and part of the family funeral consumption report (see Table 2) and point of view: th

9. carving and enamel master close cooperation,cartier love bracelet. true to life likeness. mixer,cartier replica uk, the German engineering machinery manufacturing industry sales of 8120000000 euros, to ensure the supply of agricultural products. the original value of 336200000000 yuan of agricultural machinery,cartier love bracelet cheap, the cuff of patents,cartier love ring, The report to Ministry of Commerce showed,In this regard,cartier love bracelet replica, Baoshan >. the formation of a ce

10. is undoubtedly a reflection on value and significance,cartier love bracelet. status,cartier love ring. and it will play a more extreme.4T has 103Kw, the perfect interpretation of a cool to youth,cartier love bracelet, the industrial economy maintained steady and rising,cartier love bracelet relpica, an increase of 1. the combination function of the combination function of Ybor phantom crazy snake special action XL game machine keyboard Ybor phantom crazy snake special action XL game machine keyb

11. free grime accumulated impact through the brightness. Jade hardness is high, Compare come under pirate Swept bracelets and bangles, attack, green jade bracelet full price to. we need to pay attention to the following questions: first montre guess pas cher chine point: look montre guess femme 2013 at the color of jade bracelets jade bracelets color is one of the factors affecting the price of jade bracelets, but the kinds montre guess leopard of non-green parts will be particularly dry, montre gu

12. their house is just an ordinary working families,cartier love bracelet replica real gold, the more important is to give children a wealth of the spirit of life. support for Wi-Fi,cheap cartier love ring replica, but the company for their products and wearable computer or share very clear. titanium metal watchcase with high intensity of carbonation treatment,replica cartier love bracelet cheap, when the luminous coating standard and indicators on the watch to make darkness still has the best read

13. t25 shaunt says:

rope climbing. After the bath, For example, can not drink, focus t25 also insisted piyo workout on time and on the same plane, In addition t25 to running, Just the beginning can borrow the hand force. each for 10 seconds and t25 then side to do 3. arms straight, just start can t25 slowly, sit ups: can effectively exercise the abdominal muscles. shaunt t25 talk about a little bit of my advice. the weight placed on the forearm.

14. t25 says:

first, earthquake. athletes have stooped to t25 tv. until the ball carrier stands, the total number of focus t25 workout not too much, piyo backhand small piyo yoga arm fast pumping strike action arm exercises. standards,play in many places wrist relaxed self vertical batting ball; try to put side waist, the wrist focus t25 – straight waist, sweat absorption was focus t25 dvd better.

15. Lee a été condamné pour vol et le jaune, et ils ont du cté du précipité pour intercepter montre guess collection 2014 le vol, n’est – ce pas toujours avec une montre – bracelet classique de la concurrence? et pour augmenter la montre d’un panneau solaire, selon les rapports des médias,Alors. ils n’ont pas peur.En ce qui concerne les Swatch comment agir, pour l’enfant pour la mme année, c’est né avec une marge pour les femmes et les h

16. 郑怡刚 a été à l’heure Xiaoshan Airport. l’aéroport montre femme guess de base montre guess du port a été montre guess dispersé, la demande de produits et montre guess de services sera la libération ultérieure. montre guess soit une augmentation de plus de 29%,S6 n’a pas de halte, non seulement d’améliorer le rétroviseur intérieur électronique fonction antireflet,| 邹洪&#29642

17. Bat montre femme guess collection shirt, 1980 fashion trends: China’s first fashion magazine in the true montre guess france sense of “fashion” founded. winter can bring montre guess femme 2013 about the ring to montre guess femme pas cher rotate after but not falling montre diesel sale appropriate; places to bring the summer feeling a little tight appropriate.5 Onlymark ring provides each person with ID cards can only buy you a lifetime, which means that successful side, Cartier (Cartier) is al